Oxford Community Association (OCA) began in November of 1972, when a group of property owners came together under the leadership of Josephine Williams. Early meetings were held at Steve's House of Wigs at 1434 Oxford Street, as well as the Union building at 3422 Robinwood Drive.
In June of 1973, the Weisser Park Association joined with OCA, and the current boundaries were established. Membership dues were set at $2 per household, and eventually $5 – $7 for a business.
In November of 1976, the building at 1421 Oxford Street was acquired by Neighborhood Care for use as a center for the Oxford Community Association. OCA was responsible only for the utilities. The first meeting was held in March of 1977, and was initiated with a ribbon cutting by Mayor Robert Armstrong.
OCA was incorporated in 1977, and became a 501(c)3 non-profit organization in 1985. Finally, on September 30, 1995, the City of Fort Wayne relinquished ownership of 1421 Oxford Street to the Oxford Community Association, making it the first and only association in Fort Wayne to own their own building.
Copyright © 2023 Oxfordcommunityassociation - All Rights Reserved.
Powered by GoDaddy Website Builder